Detector RF/Bandwidth/Resolution

From CMB-S4 wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Charge: Detector RF Design, Total Bandwidth, Resolving Power but excluding TES bolometer/MKID (readout). In short, antenna to termination resistor

Meeting 16: 2016-11-10

Agenda

  • Snap shot of current pdf:File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161110.pdf
  • Sign-off by this weekend
  • Edit assignments (edit directly on git)
    • Toki: Work on summary table, 1-line summary, RF component section
    • Clarence: RF component next week
    • Sara and Hannes: Feed
    • Adrian: Array pixel size and Test sections

Meeting Notes

  • Chapter PDF is in pretty good shape
  • Summary table completed
  • Sign-off Tuesday
  • Edit requests (see above) sent out

Meeting 15: 2016-10-13

Agenda

  • Snap shot of current pdf:File:Cmbs4 instbook 20161013.pdf
  • Go over 1-line summaries for technology: Section 4.8
  • Reminder of schedule (Oct 31) - Need help on editing. Volunteers?

Meeting Notes

  • Document is in read, comment, edit phase
  • Toki: Work on summary table, 1-line summary, RF component section
  • Clarence: busy this week, but read RF component next week
  • Hannes: Feed
  • Adrian: Array pixel size and Test sections

Meeting 14: 2016-09-29

  • Snap shot of current pdf - no change from S4 meeting http://cmb-s4.org/CMB-S4workshops/index.php/File:CMBS4_Instrument_DetectorRF_20160916.pdf
  • Reminder of schedule
  • Editing plan
  • Next Steps - After we are done with 1st instrument paper
    • TRL
    • What input should we provide for global optimization?
      • Mapping speed vs pixel size for multiple scenario
      • Other constraints (RF size, interconnect density etc)in quantifiable form that can be fed into global optimization calculation
      • Systematics
    • Demonstration of Scalability
      • How much to demonstrate? How to go about this?
    • Standardization of Test Facility
      • Collect information. Perhaps we should do this
    • Basic R&D we should pursue
      • Low loss dielectric
      • Demonstrate RF filter that sub-divides atmospheric window
      • Better test setup to probe RF performance?
  • Note from the Meeting
    • Technical White Paper Draft
      • Target date for publication Oct 31st
      • Toki to send out edit requests
      • Toki to add TRL summary for each subsection. Put latex box around text - "Make it flipping through friendly"
    • Next step
      • Start parameterizing systematics
      • Think about scalability:
        • Come up with plan for mass production
        • Come up with specification
        • Demonstrate yield and uniformity
        • Demonstrate production rate
      • Testing
        • Collect information
        • Come up with cost/benefit analysis for each testing step: warm electrical yield is cheap, cryogenic optical test is expensive for ex.
        • Different goal for different tests (test to give feed back to RF design, test to test for yield for deployment)
        • Come up with wedding cake model (do warm test on every pixel, maybe do cryogenic spot check)


Meeting 13: 2016-09-15

Agenda

  • Comment on drafts before circulation
  • Presentation at S4 meeting: what to present


Meeting 12: 2016-09-08

  • Snap shot of current

Agenda

  • Check in for drafts
  • Please start editing
  • Circulate by Setp 12th
  • Small e-mail list formed for editing. Please let me know if you would like to help, but if you did not get the email

Meeting 11: 2016-09-01

Agenda

  • Check in for drafts
  • Schedule:
    • Drafts by this weekend
    • Edit next week
    • Telecon to invite all 4 groups next week
    • Circulate to collaboration by September 12th. Gives 1 week for S4 collraboration to read
  • Add lenslet array section to include UCSD, Illinois, UCB R&D on lenslet array
  • Add detector characterization
  • Next week edit
    • Consistent format for every section (citation format, section format, basic stuff)
    • Consistent content - parallel formatting
    • Check for overall flow
    • Keep an eye for missing topics
    • Coordinate over email with small focused group

Meeting 10: 2016-08-25

Agenda

  • Check in for drafts
  • Collect comments on introduction/background/feed chapter
  • Added sections - Short intro for feed and RF
  • Schedule: Circulate to collaboration by September 7th. Drafts and comments in by 8/31

Note and Action Items

  • Important to get drafts for RF components s.t. we can start reading


Meeting 09: 2016-08-11

Agenda

  • Check in for drafts
  • Collect comments on introduction and background chapter
  • Decide on which chapter to read for next week

Note

  • for some write ups, it might be effective to write short text and ask author to comment
  • Clarence to ask Erik if he can write high-R section
  • Pixel size: discuss how on-wafer mux can help some wiring issue
  • Multimode detector sub-section title needs better name
  • Read chapter 1,2,3 for next meeting.
  • Next meeting is 8/22/16

Meeting 08: 2016-08-04

Agenda

  • Check in for drafts
  • Decide on which chapter to read for next week

Meeting Note

  • Send e-mail to Jeff and Brad to coordinate Horn to OMT write up (there's mkid approach to this)
  • read into/background (Chapter 1 and 2).
  • send reminder emails to POCs

Meeting 07: 2016-07-28

Meeting Note

  • Great progress on drafts
  • Look at solicitation list - 1/2 of drafts are in. Authors for remaining drafts promised next week delivery. Contact Goddard/Harvey's group for High-R filters
  • Collect drafts by next week (Aug 4th). We will start read/comment section by section (for ex. feed this week, RF component next week)

Meeting 06: 2016-07-21

Meeting Note

  • Colin is working on atmosphere/foreground summary, possible to have a draft by this afternoon
  • Add Array Optimization Section - Toki to start writing about pixel size and wiring. Coordinate with Rahul, Jeff and Hannes.
  • Reminder: OMT/ Hybrid-T/ CPW-u-strip , POC Jeff M, Author Jeff M
  • Reminder: MKID to horn coupling - POC Jeff M. Author Brad, Bill, Hannes
  • Add GRIN - POC and Author Hannes/Nils
  • Add Termination - TES Bolo/ MKID termination. POC Toki Author Ari C
  • Transmission line dielectric loss - POCJeff M - Author Hannes, solicit help on crystal Si
  • Contact Ed Wollack for CLASS filter informatoin - Toki
  • Target date for draft: August 4th
  • Re-confirming that Cross-Under POC Jeff M. Author Dan Becker


Solicitation List as of 2016-07-20

  • Intro
    • Intro/Over all structure/ - POC Toki, Author Toki
    • Atm/Foreground - POC: Colin B. - Author: Colin B. (Foreground, atmospheric window, number of bands) (background material, so just intro to these topics)
    • Mapping speed/ Sensitivity per band as a function of bandwidth - POC: Toki - Author: Charlie H. - Various pwv
    • Finite size, POC Toki, Author Toki? Perhaps one author is not enough. Coordinate RaHul/ Jeff/ Roger/ Akito/ Toki/
  • Feed
    • Horn - POC: Jeff - Author: Sara - Horn/ OMT/ MKID Coupling/ Hybrid-T, multiple pages OK
    • Sinuous - POC: Toki - Author: Toki - Lenslet-Antenna
    • Phase Array - POC: Toki - Author: Roger
    • Multimode Detector - POC: Akito - Author: Kevin
  • RF components
    • Transmission line dielectric loss - POC: Jeff - Author: Hannes/Ed/Toki (oxide, nitride, a-Si, single crystal si)
    • Microstrip filter - POC: Toki - Author: Ari C. expect others to chime in (lumped and distributed design, comment on number of poles vs loss, channelizer)
    • High-R filter - POC: Toki - Author: Erik S., Goddard Harvey's group for quasi-optical filter
    • On Chip Modulator - POC: John R - Author: JPL (?) - John R to review documents from Al/Ed from previous efforts
    • Cross-over - POC: Jeff - Author: Dan Becker, NIST design, UCB design, Goddard 2 layer design
  • Back burner
    • Density of wiring - keep it light, muxing on chip
    • Heat sink - POC Sherry, Author (back burner)

Meeting 05: 2016-07-14

  • This group's .tex at 2016CMBS4ScienceBook\Memos\Instrumentation\detector_rf\
  • We are assigning Point of Contact (POC) and candidate authors. POC's job is to collect .tex, .bib and figures
  • Feed
    • Horn - POC: Jeff - Author: Sara - She gave some text and figures to Jeff to help out while she is busy (include horn + OMT?)
    • Sinuous - POC: Toki - Author: Toki - Sinuous/Antenna Lenslet Technology - Start writing after July 13th
    • Phase Array - POC: Toki - Author: TBD, ask Roger who should write
    • Multimode Detector - POC: Akito - Author: TBD, Akito/Al to discuss who should write (can be short)
  • RF components
    • Transmission line dielectric loss - POC: Jeff - Author: TBD (oxide, nitride, a-Si, single crystal si)
    • Microstrip filter - POC: Toki - Author: Ari C. (lumped and distributed design, comment on number of poles and loss also)
    • High-R filter - POC: Toki - Author: TBD, ask Erik S. who should write(on-chip spectrometer)
    • On Chip Modulator - POC: John R - Author: TBD, ask Ed Wollack who should write
    • Cross-over? Mode filter? - POC: TBD - Author: TBD
  • Background Material
    • Atm/Foreground - POC: Colin B. - Author: Colin B. (Foreground, atmospheric window, number of bands) (background material, so just intro to these topics)
    • Mapping speed/ Sensitivity per band as a function of bandwidth - POC: Toki - Author: Charlie H. (or Toki as backup) (background material, so just intro to these topics)
    • Finite size of detector pixel and number of bands we can fit (feed, filter, bolo etc) - POC: TBD - Author: TBD
  • Note from the meeting
    • On call: Jeff M, Ari C, Sherry C, Akito K, John R, Toki S
    • Feed
      • Horn - Sara emailed first draft. Jeff edit. Second draft circulated to Hannes. It should be available by next meeting. Include OMT in this write up. 1.5~2.0 pages. Include Brad J. horn fed kid coupling. Include Hybrid-T as well.
      • Sinuous, expand this topic to lenslet-antenna coupled feed
      • Phase Array - Roger agreed to write. Waiting for sinuous example
      • Multi-mode detector Al/Ed - Peter to write Kevin, graduate student
    • RF components
      • Transmission line - POC Jeff - Authors Hannes/Ed/Toki - NIST's work on nitride and a-Si, Ed single crystal, Toki for UCB nitride if necessary
      • Filters - POC Toki, Ari C to write. If people want to contribute on filters, it will be ok extra length (most likely this will happen)
      • Spectrometer on chip - POC Toki - Try to get Erik S to contribute. Also ask Goaddard, Harvey's group - quasi optical spectrometer
      • Modulator on chip - POC John R , Al Kogut wrote a review before. No longer working on this. Ed Wollack is also not working on this. Received bunch of references. Power dissipation is a concern. Write 1/2 page summary to summarize current status and concern. Also - email Jamie to find out JPL's activity on this
      • Cross-over / Pass-under, POC Jeff: Author Dan Becker? New design from NIST, Happy to contribute UCB design as well. Goddard's no-extra layer cross-over?
    • Background Material
      • Finite size, POC Toki, Author Toki? Perhaps one author is not enough. Coordinate RaHul/ Jeff/ Roger/ Akito/ Toki/
      • Mapping speed - above 200 GHz two sites are different, Charlie H, different pwv
    • Intro
      • Intro/connecting - Toki
    • Back burner
      • Density of wiring - keep it light, muxing on chip
      • Heat sink - POC Sherry, Author (back burner)
    • Please send .tex, .bib and figures to Toki if you don't want to deal with .git
    • Same meeting time (10 AM PDT, Thursdays), John R. has time conflict. Toki to follow up John R. for email updates

Meeting 04: 2016-07-05

  • This group's charge: Detector RF Design, Total Bandwidth, Resolving Power but excluding TES bolometer/MKID (readout). In short, antenna to termination resistor
  • Announcement: s4_instrument mailing list will be setup soon. 1 mailing list for all instrument related white paper discussion - send email to larger group
  • White paper time line: Circulate draft to larger community by August 31st
    • .tex file at github I contacted Tom Crawford to get an access...
    • git clone https://github.com/CMB-S4/Memos.git
    • Main .tex detector_rf.tex
    • Survey of current technology and development
    • Summarize necessary development for CMB-S4 - No down selection yet
    • Collect references
  • Let's get started on things we can work on

Feed

    • Sara - Horn Princeton (corrugated/non-corrugated)
    • Toki - Sinuous Lenslet
    • Ed Wallack, Who to write - CLASS detecor technology - I think their single crystal silicon transmission line dielectric fabrication technique is very unique
    • Akito/Al Kogut - Mutlimode Direct Coupling (could be short)
    • Roger - Phase Array
    • John R - On Chip Modulator, Ed
    • Toki - Multi-chroic filter design
    • Eric Shirokoff - music like filter/ MKIDs/ high resolution filter
    • Colin Bishop - Atm/Foreground (background material)
    • Toki - Mapping speed/ Sensitive per band

Write up:

  • 1-page, one to two figures, bibtex for citation
    • intro of technology
    • survey current status
    • R&D for S4

We should also add (suggestion from Jeff)

  • we should put the OMT design into feed section since it is a limit on the achievable bandwidth of the horn coupled systems
  • we should discuss dielectric materials somewhere (eg silicon oxide vs silicon nitride vs single crystal silicon) perhaps in RF tricks.

Meeting 03: 2016-06-16

  • Deliverable: White paper by next S-4 meeting in September (6 more meetings to go)
  • Generic goal:
    • Keep doors open - no down selection
    • Survey of current technology and development
    • Summarize necessary development for CMB-S4
    • Collect references
  • Scope/topics to address
    • Total bandwidth per feed
      • Broadband RF technology
        • Feed
        • RF circuit
      • Mapping speed
        • Diffraction
        • Cold stop and telescope temperature
        • Loss in optics (AR and lens material) and RF circuit line (choice of dielectric for ex)
    • Resolving Power
      • Need from foreground subtraction group
        • Just point to their write up
      • Atmospheric window
      • Hardware requirement
        • Finite area on silicon wafer
        • Increase number of readout channels
    • Should we add/subtract scope from this group?
  • Assign writing task
    • Hardware
      • Broadband RF technology (1.0 page)
      • Hardware requirement on resolving power (1.0 page)
    • Background Material
      • Mapping speed (1.0 page)
      • Atmosphere (0.5 page)
      • Foreground (0.5 page)
  • Meeting Note
    • Participants: toki, clarence, mike, akito, bryan, jeff
    • we have additional detector systematics group (mike sent out lists of group)
    • what is trade off between total bandwidth
    • zeesh is leading readout group - discuss if combining detector (TES/MKID) into readout makes sense
    • trade off between too many / broader participation to be inclusive
    • contact XXX if you want to get involved
    • TES/MKID for readout group cause delay? - probably not
    • include Mike N. to readout group
    • send note to whole community - pass by john c. - send out note to whole s4 group
    • we are missing group to put whole thing together
    • how about 2-stage approach. we collect current state of technology for now. then optimize/tie together later
    • optimize/tie together to come after science book
    • re-name systematics group to systematics and system over view?
    • keeping systematics group shows that we are thinking about systematics and its mitigation
    • no body knows about what systamtics to worry about at CMB-S4 level
    • separate group's writing
    • how to select co-leader?
    • cryogenic receivers group does not exist (ask brad to lead?)
    • systematics group can suggest what simulation/study is necessary
      • describe different experiment's approach to systematics
      • summarize literature on analysis technique
      • summarize experiment's approach
  • Action Item
    • jeff to put together preamble and send out with mike n's list of groups
    • jeff to ask zeesh to agree on adding tes/mkid to readout
    • natural point
      • sarah for horn
      • sinuous lenslet
      • roger phase-array
    • mapping speed/atm/foreground (background material)
    • next meeting in 2 weeks. maybe we'll get more participants. Toki's organize meeting (doodle, call invitation what not)

Meeting 01 and 02 note from google doc

File:CMBS-4WhatresolvingpowerisdesirablepracticalMeeting0102.pdf