Technology Development Telecon - (DR) Detector, Readout

From CMB-S4 wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Charge to CMB-S4 Technology Development Working Group

In the first edition of the Technology Book, the experimental CMB community summarized the current state of CMB technology and evaluated its current technical readiness with a 5-level Technology Status Level (TSL) and manufacturing readiness with a 5-level Production Status Level (PSL). For each technology, we identified Technology Development (TD) efforts necessary to advance it for possible use in CMB-S4. As a next step of the collaborative community wide effort, the CMB-S4 TD prioritization working group will evaluate TD topics based on impacts they have on cost, schedule, and science return. By the time of the Argonne meeting (March 2018) the working group will produce a prioritized list of the TD topics that the community should pursue to ensure timely maturity of technologies that will enable the successful advancement of the project.

We have grouped the relevant technologies into the following areas to tackle this immense task: Telescope and Site; Cryogenics, Cryostats and Optics; Detectors and Readout; and Data Management. Calibration of evaluation metrics across the subgroups is important for fair comparison of the TD topics. In addition, many TD topics are inter-dependent. To capture these ideas, the overall working group will communicate across all the subgroups in monthly combined group meetings.

The scope of each subgroup is as follows:

  • Telescope and site: Covers telescope, mount, site, power generation, etc...
  • Cryogenics, cryostats and optics: Covers cryogenics (4K and mK), cryostats, windows, filters, lenses, HWP etc...
  • Detector and readout: Covers detector (detector array and holder) and readout (warm/cold), etc...
  • Data management: Covers DAQ, data transfer, simulation, analysis, publication, etc...

Tab-Separated Table

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101ncyzfDAHrTF9O0rTPRGbX6dqut_WdfVA7-2ck9qGQ/edit?usp=sharing

Evaluation Summary Slides

Detector-Readout Summary Slides

Milestone

  • October (combined call on Nov 2)
    • Define baseline to compare impact of TDs to
    • Start populating list of TDs item and do evaluation on some entries
    • Make modification/improvements to organization method if necessary
  • November (combined call on Nov 30)
    • Continue to populate and evaluate list of R&D items as sub-group
    • Draft list by end of month
    • evaluation may not be complete by this time
  • December (combined call on Jan 04)
    • Sub-group list with priority evaluation by end of month such that we can start combining lists in 2018
  • January (combined call on Feb 1, maybe more combined call)
    • Start normalization/ combine lists from different groups
    • Draft of combined list by end of month
  • February (combined call on March 1, maybe more combined call)
    • Modify/fine tune combined list
    • Discuss on what we’ll show at CMB-S4 workshop at ANL
  • March
    • CMB-S4 workshop at ANL: Present at CMB-S4 meeting

Material from CMB-S4 Workshop at Argonne, March 5-6, 2018

  • Slides presented at Plenary Session on TD working group results DR TD Slides
  • Slides and notes from Detector Session for Decadal reference design: P1-1 Detectors
  • Slides and notes from Readout Session for Decadal reference desgin: P2-1 Readout

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2018-3-1 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Attendees: Tom, Shawn, Sara, Toki, Amy, Heather, Hannes, Tyler
  • Agenda:
  • Notes
    • Overview of topic rankings
      • General agreement on presenting the topics highlighted in bold in DR priority list
      • For readout, it is not obvious that MKIDs are an option. Currently all topics highlight 'cold' readout. Shawn will reach out to 'warm' readout community for greater input.
      • Hannes: Overall a need for increased production throughput of optical coupling technologies, which is not keeping up with detector throughput
      • Tyler: there is an order of operation in readout and testing - some fraction of readout needs to be working correctly to be able to do detector testing and characterization. This should be reflected in the needed for integration and testing, although not clear where.
    • Please send any comments or suggestion on the slides for the Argonne workshop to Tom prior to the workshop start on Monday.

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2018-2-22 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Attendees: Heather, Tom, Sara, Patty, Toki, Shawn, Clarence, Amy, Brad, Darcy
  • Agenda:
    • Review of new slides, evaluations
    • Discussion of normalization process
    • Plans for wrap-up next week
  • Notes
    • Slide presentations:
      • Toki presented slides on TES production and lenslet production and AR coating
      • Amy presented slides on FDM
      • Tom presented slides on TES parameters
      • Sara presented a slide on the need for calibration and testing systems
    • Discusion on normalization
      • Added additional column for cost '1-5' ranking
      • Add column for weighted ranking
        • A flat weighting of criteria seems to emphasize cost/schedule over science
        • need an alternative weighting to emphasize science
      • Topics that rise to the top from first pass ranking include TES/MKID fab, production of rf coupling technology (feedhorn and lenslet), and FDM parasitics
    • Plans for wrap-up next week
      • Tom, Patty, and Shawn will review the spreadsheet to make sure everything is filled in
      • Participants are asked to think about and email group leads on new weighting algorithms
      • An initial list of topics (~ 10) from the spreadsheet
      • Topics will then be discussed and moved up/down as needed. Any missing topics topics can be added.

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2018-2-15 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Attendees: Heather, Tom, Peter, Jay, Sara, Patty, Toki
  • Agenda:
    • Summary of discussion from morning combined call
    • Review of new slides, evaluations
    • Discussion of normalization process
    • Plans for preparing for workshop and CDR document
  • Notes
    • Tom presented draft slides for the ANL S4 meeting. Toki pointed out # of detectors/wafer is off in some places. Sara & Toki will send Tom #s from existing experiments.
    • Decided to try go through the evaluation process on the phone next week as a first pass and to vet slides for presentation.
    • File:Cmbs4drtdwg anl draft.pdf

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2018-02-08 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Attendees: Tom, Shawn, Patty, Amy, Clarence, Pete, Heather, Max, Sara, Toki, Natalie
  • Notes
    • Recap of combined call from earlier in the day regarding the March Workshop
      • There will be a plenary session on Monday to provide updates from results of this process
      • Parallel session on Tuesday will work towards CDR document
    • Discussion on what is needed for the CDR
      • Do specific technologies need to be called out this early in the process, or can we simply define instrument parameters (e.g. # of detectors, Psat level) and provide options that meet those requirements?
      • No clear consensus in the group about what is needed
    • Slide presentations
      • Sara presented on Feedhorn coupling and production
      • Heather presented on MKID readout
    • Follow up discussion
      • Toki gave more details on the upcoming workshop. Session chairs will soon be circulated
      • Combined calls will occur every week from now until the workshop
      • Amy suggested that we shift the focus of these calls more towards preparing for the workshop. Parallel session times will be short (~1 hr) and much will need to be done before hand to make the sessions productive

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2018-01-25 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Attendees: Tom, Shawn, Sara, Zeesh, John C
  • Notes
    • Discussion on improving involvement from broader community
      • group leads will start to directly email/call people for individual contributions
      • group leads will draft a set of template slides to showcase desired background information on evaluation input
    • Discussion on update timeline
      • following the combined call in the morning, it was decided to focus on completing the evaluation spreadsheet by the March workshop at Argonne
      • timeline will include dates for covering specific topics
      • timeline will include a cutoff date beyond subgroup leads fill in empty topics. It is much preferred that this be done by topical experts before this date.
    • Discussion on incorporating this work into the Decadal CBR
      • Emphasis on completing evaluation spreadsheet by the March workshop
      • Session at the workshop will focus on what needs to be produced for the decadal review
      • The results of the spreadsheet will inform what goes into the review

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2018-01-11 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Agenda
    • Combined Spreadsheet Review
    • Division of Topics
    • Timeline update
  • Notes
    • Slide for discussion: File:20180111 DR TD slides.pdf
    • Attendees: Tom Cecil, Shawn Henderson, Sara Simon, Toki Suzuki, Peter Timbie, Karl Young
    • Added list of potential 'point of contact' to topics in Detector and Readout sections
      • Volunteers were given first choice of topics
      • Experts in the topic were then listed
      • Tried to get experts from a mixture of the main Stage-3 experiments
    • Group leads will begin reaching out to topic experts to request assistance
    • Anyone wishing to volunteer for a topic should contact Tom, Shawn, or Patty. There is more than enough work to go around

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-12-14 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Agenda
    • Proposed sub-group timeline
    • Review of evaluations metrics
    • Discussion of detector development topics
  • Notes
    • Slide for discussion: File:DR TD telecon 20171214.pdf
    • Added 'TD goal' column to 'DR' combined spreadsheet
    • Real-time discussion and editing of TD topics for detectors during call
      • Areas of contention or in need of further study are highlighted in red or green
      • Encourage any and all to continue the process offline. Please fill in the spreadsheet even if you are not complete sure on the metric. We will go through all entries during future calls to review and reach consensus.
    • Next week's call will continue discussion on detectors and work towards starting evaluation on readout topics.
  • Action items
    • Please work on filing out the DR evaluation spreadsheet and encourage colleagues who have not yet been involved to join in the process.

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-12-07 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Agenda
    • Discussion of evaluations metrics
    • Goals for next combined telecon (Jan 4)
  • Notes
    • Reviewed evaluation metrics listed in the combined google document. No new changes to the metric were suggested.
    • Discussion on the end product of the working group.
      • Suggestion to have a clearly defined plan for the next CMB-S4 workshop in March
      • Should push to have ICCC create and distribute meeting program with enough time (at least 1 month before) for people to present useful material at the meeting
      • Could include a session a technology development with potential updates from sub-groups or individuals working on technologies that are evaluated at a high priority
  • Action items
    • Tom will raise issue of workshop program with ICCC
    • Ask everyone to begin evaluating topics with the posted evaluation metrics

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-11-16 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-11-09 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Agenda
    • review of CDT report regarding detector / readout
    • nominal schedule and impact on TD
    • discussion of ‘baseline’ necessary for TD
  • Notes
    • Spent most of meeting going through meeting slides to discussion sections of CDT report relevant to detectors / readout
    • Toki pointed out that UMUX readout is called out as an existing readout technology, but MKIDs not as an existing detector. Tom noted that both MKIDs and UMUX are listed as potential TD topics for either reduce risk or baseline cost
    • Toki asked if testing costs are in the straw person cost estimate. Tom will reach out to Steve Padin for clarification.
    • It was noted that there is a discrepancy in the number of frequency bands used between the table and text in the CDT report.
    • Clarance noted that we need to reach out to the other groups when discussing the baseline so that our plans do not diverge. Toki will reach out to the forecasting group. Tom will reach out to the cryo group.
    • Clarence noted that when thinking about mux factors we also need to think about issue such as thermal loading. In general we need to maintain communication between the groups to ease convergence on baseline that is realistic from the prospective of each sub group.
    • The last portion of the meeting was spent discussing Tom's draft baseline. This currently lives in the google doc at the link below. Tom will copy it over to the main google doc (Main TD doc) listed below during the next week.
  • Files / links

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-10-26 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Note
    • What should we target for R&D plan?
      • Notional schedule was presented at CMB-S4 meetings and design concept is presented by CDT report.
      • For example "2020+n years" for CD-0 which is "Mission Need", then within few years we'll have technology down select, and we need to finalize design by CD3 when we start cutting metal


CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-10-19 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout

  • Agenda
    • General discussion of charge, prioritization methods, schedule.
    • Brief updates from each of the subgroups.
    • Discuss goal for next combined telecom.
  • Notes
    • Detectors/readout subsheet subleads;
      • Detectors (Toki/Tom)
      • Readout (Shawn/Amy)
      • and Characterization (Patty).
    • Strategy for converting risk into TD topic; ask “what TD could mitigate this risk.”
    • TD sub-leads will work to better organize common TD topics into groups using new “TD details” column of detector/readout subsheet. Will also think about/explore other ways of organizing the ideas in our sheet and report back to Toki/Zeesh.
    • Tom suggests that to help generate ideas we all ask ourselves “What went wrong in the last year, and what TD could help mitigate that”?
    • Optics means HWP, lenses, filters, etc. Things like lenslets, horns, etc.

belong in detector/readout subsheet.

  • Action Items
    • For group; by 11/2 combined call: List of TD topics (just ideas in column C).
    • For group; by 11/30 combined call: Add short descriptions to all entries. These descriptions will be sharpened into impact/cost/etc.
    • Tom/Toki/Shawn/Amy/Patty will reach out to folks to push people to get ideas in the detectors/readout sheet before next combined call (Nov. 2).

CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-10-05 Subgroup Meeting: Detector/Readout