Technology Development Telecon - (CO)Cryogenics, Cryostat, Optics
Charge to CMB-S4 Technology Development Working Group
In the first edition of the Technology Book, the experimental CMB community summarized the current state of CMB technology and evaluated its current technical readiness with a 5-level Technology Status Level (TSL) and manufacturing readiness with a 5-level Production Status Level (PSL). For each technology, we identified Technology Development (TD) efforts necessary to advance it for possible use in CMB-S4. As a next step of the collaborative community wide effort, the CMB-S4 TD prioritization working group will evaluate TD topics based on impacts they have on cost, schedule, and science return. By the time of the Argonne meeting (March 2018) the working group will produce a prioritized list of the TD topics that the community should pursue to ensure timely maturity of technologies that will enable the successful advancement of the project.
We have grouped the relevant technologies into the following areas to tackle this immense task: Telescope and Site; Cryogenics, Cryostats and Optics; Detectors and Readout; and Data Management. Calibration of evaluation metrics across the subgroups is important for fair comparison of the TD topics. In addition, many TD topics are inter-dependent. To capture these ideas, the overall working group will communicate across all the subgroups in monthly combined group meetings.
The scope of each subgroup is as follows:
- Telescope and site: Covers telescope, mount, site, power generation, etc...
- Cryogenics, cryostats and optics: Covers cryogenics (4K and mK), cryostats, windows, filters, lenses, HWP etc...
- Detector and readout: Covers detector (detector array and holder) and readout (warm/cold), etc...
- Data management: Covers DAQ, data transfer, simulation, analysis, publication, etc...
CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-10-12 Subgroup Meeting: Cryogenics, Cryostats and Optics
- Organization and charge of the group
- TD Prioterization methods
- TD topics to be addressed
- Meeting slides File:CC0 telecon 20171012.pdf
- The methods presented do not take into account 'opportunity', the possibility that we could excess the baseline.
- in terms of systematics, it would make sense to list, for a given systematic effect, which are the possible mitigation strategies. This would be a more honest approach that the traditional one, following which we first choose the technology and then we think about systematics.
- topics to be added: baffling, the AR coating is implicitly included in all the optical components. We assume that we cover all the components from the window (including the window) to the focal plane (but not including the focal plane).
- ACTION ITEM: Abby to talk with detector and readout subgroup to check that there won't be uncovered topics (optical coupling to detectors?).
- We made a Cryogenics/Optics Google Doc to start brainstorming information to put in the risk registry.