Technology Development Telecon - (TS) Telescope and Site
Charge to CMB-S4 Technology Development Working Group
In the first edition of the Technology Book, the experimental CMB community summarized the current state of CMB technology and evaluated its current technical readiness with a 5-level Technology Status Level (TSL) and manufacturing readiness with a 5-level Production Status Level (PSL). For each technology, we identified Technology Development (TD) efforts necessary to advance it for possible use in CMB-S4. As a next step of the collaborative community wide effort, the CMB-S4 TD prioritization working group will evaluate TD topics based on impacts they have on cost, schedule, and science return. By the time of the Argonne meeting (March 2018) the working group will produce a prioritized list of the TD topics that the community should pursue to ensure timely maturity of technologies that will enable the successful advancement of the project.
We have grouped the relevant technologies into the following areas to tackle this immense task: Telescope and Site; Cryogenics, Cryostats and Optics; Detectors and Readout; and Data Management. Calibration of evaluation metrics across the subgroups is important for fair comparison of the TD topics. In addition, many TD topics are inter-dependent. To capture these ideas, the overall working group will communicate across all the subgroups in monthly combined group meetings.
The scope of each subgroup is as follows:
- Telescope and site: Covers telescope, mount, site, power generation, etc...
- Cryogenics, cryostats and optics: Covers cryogenics (4K and mK), cryostats, windows, filters, lenses, HWP etc...
- Detector and readout: Covers detector (detector array and holder) and readout (warm/cold), etc...
- Data management: Covers DAQ, data transfer, simulation, analysis, publication, etc...
- October (combined call on Nov 2)
- Define baseline to compare impact of TDs to
- Start populating list of TDs item and do evaluation on some entries
- Make modification/improvements to organization method if necessary
- November (combined call on Nov 30)
- Continue to populate and evaluate list of R&D items as sub-group
- Draft list by end of month
- evaluation may not be complete by this time
- December (combined call on Jan 04)
- Sub-group list with priority evaluation by end of month such that we can start combining lists in 2018
- January (combined call on Feb 1, maybe more combined call)
- Start normalization/ combine lists from different groups
- Draft of combined list by end of month
- February (combined call on March 1, maybe more combined call)
- Modify/fine tune combined list
- Discuss on what we’ll show at CMB-S4 workshop at ANL
- CMB-S4 workshop at ANL: Present at CMB-S4 meeting
CMB-S4 Technology Development Telecon 2017-XX-XX Subgroup Meeting: Telescope Site
- Action Item